Friday, February 3, 2012

Back in the swing!

Hey guys!! I took a little break from updating here and i apologize. Once i returned from Disney (which was amazing,relaxing, and magical) my brain flipped from vacation mode to work mode.

I had a lot to catch up on at the studio i teach at. I only missed two days, but i wanted to have a lot of the choreography done already so i could just go in and set it. Having 5 pieces to do there while all staying in the theme of the recital can be tricky. You have to keep within the students abilities while at the same time creating work that is enjoyable and originial. I love choreography and get really picky if i feel like things aren't flowing within the piece. It starts messing with my OCD and i'll have to take things out or re-due certain sections. I want the students to enjoy what they are doing as well as the audience. I go in feeling the vibes of them and how they are taking to the steps. I know this might sound silly because it's just recital stuff, but i really care about my students and studio and want them to be the best they can be at their level. This studio is like my family. It's only my second year there, but i already feel like i mesh better with the director and other teacher better than at any other studio. We share the same concepts and goals. It's about the students the ART of dance, not winning competitions and being better than the girl next to you at barre. I'm not a huge fan of competition studios. I respect what they do, but i feel my heart is more aimed at teaching these kids how important the arts are. It's not a competition with other studios, but rather a way to challenge yourself and push to be better for YOU rather than a group of judges.

Anyway, i'm feeling confident and the spring season is upon us. The company start date got pushed back another week because our season got extended. (which i am happy about) We had a meeting on wednesday to talk about new board members that have joined over the break and the direction the company is headed. The meeting was very positive and i have my fingers crossed that we finish this season on a good note.

Classes have started and apprentices rehearse Monday. I will go in and get myself back in shape before the company is called back on the 27th. I'm almost done choreographing two pieces for the contemporary ballet i am setting with my fellow company member for spring shows. Im am so thrilled to be able to set a piece on them. I hope they are going to enjoy it. It certainly will be something different than they are use to doing!o (no tiaras, tutus, or pink) I'll tell you more about it later once rehearsals are in full swing. :)

A good friend is getting married this weekend. She use to dance for the company and i am so happy to see her. Can't wait to see her and spend time with my booba. :)

My best to you all!!
~Sara~
this was shot in Disney in front of the beautiful tree in Animal Kingdom. :)

No comments: